CanSurvive GYN Cancer Support Group
2 meetings each month
Please note that sometimes the 3rd Sunday will occur
before the 3rd Friday.
3rd Friday of each month
12 noon – 1:30 p.m.; lunch provided
American Cancer Society*
1104 Ireland Way
3rd Sunday of each month
2 – 4 p.m.
Brookwood Wellness Center at Gold’s Gym
1090 Montgomery Hwy, Vestavia 35216
Light refreshments provided by LCBOCF
*Please check website or call on a weekday (205-934-7509) to confirm Friday meeting location; occasionally it has to be relocated.
2014 — UPCOMING CANSURVIVE MEETINGS & EVENTS
- Fri., 7/18, 12 noon-1:30 p.m - CanSurvive meeting – American Cancer Society. Lunch provided. Wendy Demark-Wahnefried, PhD; RD will talk to us about the Harvest for Health Study.
- Sun., 7/20, 2 -4 p.m. - CanSurvive meeting - Brookwood Wellness Center @ Gold’s Gym in Vestavia Light refreshments provided by LCBOCF. Researcher Zhican (Z.) Qu, PhD will talk with us about herbal medicines.
- Fri. 8/15, 12 noon-1:30 p.m - CanSurvive meeting - American Cancer Society. Lunch provided. Dr. Meredith will talk with us about Intraperitoneal Radioimmunotherapy for Relapsed/ Recurrent Cancer.
- Sun., 8/17, 2 -4 p.m - CanSurvive meeting - Brookwood Wellness Center @ Gold’s Gym in Vestavia. Light refreshments provided by LCBOCF. Dr. Karen Menenses and Silva Gisiger-Camato will talk with us about Chemo-Brain.
- SEPTEMBER – Alabama will be A State of Teal for awareness. Keep abreast of what is happening at http://www.astateofteal.org.
- EVENT - Tues., 9/2, evening (exact time tba) - GYN Cancer Awareness Month Lighting Ceremony – Banquet room at Regions Field, 1401 – 1st Ave. So., Birmingham 35233
- EVENT – Thurs, 12/4, 7:30 p.m.; doors open at 6 p.m. - TICKLED TEAL - Our TWO stand-up headliner comedians are set for the Comedy Club Stardome in Hoover. Our comedians are Karen Mills (who happens to be an ovarian cancer survivor) and John Morgan, the “Ragin’ Cajun”. This will be a unique show; no other shows will have Karen with John. It will be clean, but very funny, comedy. Tickets will be $42.50. This is a joint fundraiser for CanSurvive and the Laura Crandall Brown Ovarian Cancer Foundation.
Spotlight on GYN Cancers
CanSurvive’s 2nd Annual Teal Lighting of
Alabama State Capitol & Montgomery
was held on Friday, September 6, 2013
CanSurvive’s 2nd annual teal lighting of the Alabama State Capitol on Friday, September 6, 2013 was a well-attended success. In addition to the Capitol, the RSA buildings and the Renaissance Hotel in Montgomery lit their buildings in teal.
The “Spotlight on GYN Cancers” lighting ceremony at the Montgomery Visitors Center featured speakers from across Alabama that included cancer survivors, current patients, family members who have lost loved ones and physician who are involved in battling these diseases. Survivor Kelly Rice welcomed everyone and gave our invocation. Gynecologic oncologist Dr. Max Austin from the University of Alabama at Birmingham discussed the current state of research, screening guidelines and treatments. Criss Smiley was our Emcee for the evening.
Angela Dainas spoke on BRCA genetic testing and preemptive treatments. Nan Galik told us about support groups for those affected by these cancers and recognized survivors in the audience. UAB graduate student Jennifer Cunningham enlightened us about high risk populations.
The evening featured a special remembrance ceremony led by Jim and Cecilia Crandall for those who have lost their battle with these diseases. The MAKing a Difference band provided live music for the ceremony.
State Representative Paul Demarco read a special proclamation from the Governor designating September 6th as Gynecological Cancer Awareness Day in Alabama, which coincided with September’s national designation as the Awareness Month for Ovarian and GYN Cancers.
Jennifer Smiley shared information about CanSurvive’s upcoming events: Tickled Teal on Thursday, December 5 and the Moore Life to Live Golf Tournament on Friday, April 25.
* More photographs can be found by clicking on the Photos link. *
Our heartfelt thanks go to Jennifer & Criss Smiley and Kelly and Allan Rice for planning, organizing, and promoting this meaningful awareness event. Kelly and Allan actually placed the teal gels over the Capitol spotlights.
A chartered bus from Cline Tours transported many people from Birmingham to and from the event. The Birmingham Doubletree Care committee prepared and distributed a sandwich supper to the passengers. They also helped load and unload the bus, provided a guest room, served popcorn for us at the event venue, passed out programs, and helped with the lighting ceremony. Dexter Agee from there was our photographer. The Doubletree Care Committee in Montgomery set up chairs for the event, furnished bottled water, and provided one guest room.
It took many people to make this event a success. We appreciate the contributions of all these people:
Cline Tours & Lisa, our driver; Montgomery Visitor’s Center, Cheryl Bollinger, director and survivor, and Meg Lewis for sending out event via email; Retirement Systems of Alabama; Allan & Kelly Rice; Jennifer & Criss Smiley; Alabama Fire College; Dr. Max Austin; Angela Dainas; Jennifer Cunningham; Rep. Paul DeMarco; Nan Galik; Dianne Baer;
Oak Mountain Lanes; Lowe’s Hoover, AL — Steve Warren, manager;
Graphic Specialties — Michele Matthews; Taylor Matthews — t-shirt design; Chuck King — trumpet player, vocals, and band organizer; Tom Dameron — shirt design and tuba player; David Langford —drums; Jay Garrett —trombone player; Doubletree by Hilton Montgomery CARE Committee —Tom Quatrochi, General Manager, &
Shannon Tolbert-CARE Committee Coordinator; Doubletree by Hilton Birmingham CARE Committee —Melanie Johnston — General Manager; Dexter Agee — photographer; Kitchen staff: Camellia Kirk, Michelle & Kristian Edwards, Ms. NuMan, Steve Martin, Dorothy Wills, Nicole Kimble, Beverly Carter
Moore Life to Live Golf Tournament
Cathy Moore is an ovarian cancer survivor. In 2013 she established the Moore Life to Live Fund to benefit gynecologic cancer patients and the CanSurvive GYN Cancer Support Group. Net proceeds of the annual MLTL Golf Tournament will be placed in this fund and then distributed to the recipients. A cancer diagnosis can lead to many unexpected expenses and put further stress on a patient and her loved ones during a difficult time. It is Cathy’s hope to help lighten that load for patients.
CanSurvive Members Reach Out to Other Patients During Holidays
In their November 16 meeting, CanSurvive members put together 230 bags for patients receiving treatment during the winter holidays. The bags contained items we found handy during treatment along with a few surprises and a handwritten note of encouragement. Thanks to the Doubletree Hotel for providing a room for this and for our lunch and the Doubletree Care Committee for help transporting items, setting up the assembly line, and transporting bags to their destination.
We’d like to thank the many people who procured items and/or donated funds for the bags: Doubletree Hotel; Flavorpic; Hoffman Media; Dr. Perron Tucker of Tucker Cosmetic and Family Dentistry; Dr. Elizabeth S. Jacobson; American Family Care; Cathy Moore; Connie LaMonte; Vicki Daviston; Cheryl Bourn; Allan & Kelly Rice; Jennifer & Criss Smiley; Susan Greene and the NLOCF; Lois Caldwell & Dr. Kevin Alexander; Ginny Bourland; and, Dr. Ron Beasley.